This hearty chili is made with beans, vegetables, and quinoa. Meat lovers and vegetarians alike will love this chili!
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, diced
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 2-3 tablespoons chili powder, depending on your taste (we used 3)
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Optional toppings:
- green onions, avocado slices,
- cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt,
- chips, crackers, etc.
- In a medium sauce pan, combine the quinoa and water. Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, carrot, celery, peppers, and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir in the cooked quinoa. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Simmer chili on low for about 30 minutes. Serve warm.
Note-garnish the chili with green onions, avocado slices, cheese, sour cream/Greek yogurt, chips, crackers, if desired. This chili freezes well.