These muffins are loaded with delicious, protective blueberries.
Makes 12 muffins
- 1½ cups unbleached flour
- 1½ cups barley flour
- ¼ cup sugar or other sweetener
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups fortified non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (best with fresh; frozen have lots of moisture, so drain well)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Mix flours, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- In a large bowl combine milk, orange juice concentrate, vinegar and oil. Add flour mixture and stir just to mix.
- Stir in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into oil-sprayed muffin cups, filling to just below tops.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until lightly browned and tops of muffins bounce back when pressed. They brown quickly. Remove from oven and let stand about 5 minutes, then remove from pan and cool on a rack.
Fat: 3 g
Calories from protein: 10%
Calories from carbs: 77%
Calories from fat: 13%
Protein: 6 g
Carbohydrates: 45 g
Fiber: 5 g
|Sodium: 306 mg|
Recipe by Vesanto Mellina, M.S., R.D. from Healthy Eating for Life for Cancer