This recipe comes from VeganDad's blog. These sausages are great for pizza, pasta dishes and the like. They're good on a bun or on their own, lightly grilled, and served with mustard or ketchup. They are easy to make, taste better than anything you can get at the store and contain no additives whatsoever.
- ½ c. black or pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 c. cold vegetable broth
- 1 T. olive oil
- 2 T. soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, very finely minced
- ¼ c. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. fennel seed, crushed
- ½ tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. sage
- 1 tsp. sweet paprika
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- white pepper to taste
- 1¼ c. vital wheat gluten (stir in last)
- ½ onion
- ¼ c. sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tsp. thyme, rosemary, basil or parsley
- Before mixing ingredients bring water to a full boil in your steamer.
- Make 6 sheets of tin foil about 12 inches square.
- In a large bowl, mash beans until no whole ones are left.
- Add all the other ingredients together in the order listed and mix with a fork.
- Divide dough into 6 even parts.
- Place one part of dough into tin foil and mold into about a 5 inch log.
- Wrap dough in tin foil like a Tootsie Roll.
- Place wrapped sausages in steamer and steam for 60 minutes (turning once.) It's the steaming that gives them their sausage-like texture.
TIP: These freeze great for future quick meals